|32 St. Johns Place is a 1887 Queen Ann Building that is now better than the day it was built! There are 2 outstanding units, each with about 1,750 square feet. Both units have working fireplaces in their master bedroom and Unit 1 also has a working marble fireplace in the living room. Each unit has its own totally private and secure basement with washer/dryer and wine cellar.
Unit 1 is period restoration with mahogany doors, stairway, and natural woodwork where appropriate. The woodwork and moldings are abundant. Both units have a master bath with air tub, double sinks and a separate steam shower on their bedroom floor. Unit 1 also has a ˝ bath on the first floor in addition to the master bath on the bedroom floor. Unit 2 has a full bath on the first floor with a shower in addition to the master bath with air tub and steam shower on the 3rd floor. Unit 1 has a den/library on the first floor. Unit 2 has a large study/loft above the master bedroom with a private balcony also off the master bedroom overlooking the historic homes on St. Johns Place and 1st Presbyterian Church. Both units have a private and sunlit back porch accessible from the rear driveway and garage which overlooks the custom designed gardens and shrubs.
The Architectural Significance of this three story Queen Anne – Shingle Style home includes distinctive features such as a massive rusticated stone and brick chimney with specially shaped bricks and an original wrought iron decorative retaining support rod. The decorative wood bracket accents in the front of the home are another notable feature. The entry way has a private front porch featuring short clustered Doric columns that support round and segmental arches with saw-tooth edging and a shed style roof. The hipped dormer on the third floor shelters a recessed porch. The home is of frame construction with clap boarding on the first story and shingles on the second and third story. The rear of the home in Apt. 2 has a bay window on the second floor with curved glass. The living room in Apt. 1 has an attractive Lattice archway.
32 St. Johns Place is one of the most architecturally significant shingle style homes in the Allentown Historic Preservation District; the house itself is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the United States. Only a handful of shingle style homes exist in Allentown. Each shingle style home is extremely important to preserve which helps to keep the historic fabric and home evolution intact. This distinguished home was built in 1887 for Howard Bryant, a writer for the Buffalo Evening News. All houses built on these streets between 1884-1888 were for prominent Buffalonians in the fashionable Queen Anne style. Real Estate prices exploded in the 1880’s so the housing that was built in St. Johns and Orton was constructed within a very short period of time and is essentially an intact “ time capsul” of mid - 1880’s life in Buffalo.
The St. Johns Orton area began to deteriate during the 1920s and 30s and espeially after World War II with the movement of people to the suburbs. However, with First Preybysterian Church and Kleinhans Music Hall being strong anchors for this small unique nighborhood, St. Johns and Orton have remianed strong “time capsuls” for both the Allentown area and the City of Buffalo itself.
Allentown - Historic Renovation
Two Luxury 1,700 SQ Foot Units:
· Massive Crown molding and Base Boards
· Wainscoting in select areas
· New Oak, Maple and Brazilian Rosewood flooring
· Individual security systems
· Brand new State of the Art Electrical and Cable wiring.
· Brand new plumbing/Heating and air conditioning systems.
· Plenty of closets some walk-in
· Brand new Mahogany doors and antique style hardware
· Built in Wet bar with Walnut cabinets and granite counter top complete with wine captain.
· Den with built in cabinets and bookcase.
· Elaborate lattice arch way in the living room with built in window seating
· Working gas fireplace designed with antique faux soap stone and decorative glass
· Walnut and glazed maple cabinets
· Granite counter tops
· State of the art appliances with gas stoves
· Master Baths all have elaborate custom tile designs
· Master Baths are equipped with a steam shower, air tub, under mounted double sinks and solid surface counter tops.
· Other baths have such features as Kohler pedestal sinks and beautiful marble flooring.
· All rooms are spacious with lots of closet space
· The Master bedrooms have gas fire places with custom designed decorative mantels.
· One master suite has a private balcony and loft.
· Both units have private storage and laundry areas
Out Side Spaces:
· Both units have two private decks
· There is a separate garage and off street parking accessed from the rear of the property with stamped concrete surface.
· Designed by Elbers complete with in ground irrigation
· Snow plowing and external maintenance, water and garbage removal is included
This beautiful property is located on a small quiet one block side street just off Wadsworth in Historic Allentown. With its central location you can walk to Kleinhans Music Hall as well as many excellent Restaurants and clubs.